Sunday, December 2, 2012

Reflection

        So, it's finally December. I know this has been said a million times by a million different people, but this year has truly flown by. It's odd how one's sense of time changes as they age. As a child, it would feel like an eternity before December finally decided to make it's chilly arrival. Time had no meaning. Time never seemed to be in short supply. In fact, I felt as though I had too much of it. Now, it just seems to slip through my hands. I don't even want to imagine how quickly it will fly later on in life. I could have sworn I was just graduating high school, then I blinked my eyes and I was moving off to college, and now here I am at the end of my first semester.

        Life back in Big Spring seems almost like a distant memory now. I know that sounds totally ridiculous, but it's true. Almost like it was a dream, and I've just been where I am now forever. Why my mind thinks like that, I don't know. What I have come to know is that nothing ever seems to stay constant in life. Old friends seem to fade away, and new ones come to fill their place. Memories are forgotten to be quickly replaced. Beliefs and convictions can be lost, gained, or strengthened. Hearts are broken, mended, and broken yet again. It can all be quite depressing until one realizes there is even more lying ahead in the future than the past holds. Life is in constant motion, a raging river, and one does their best to keep their head above water.

        Since August, I've been able to find out more who I am and accept what I find. Once on your own, you're able to explore new things, entertain different ideology, and see the world through a new perspective. It's all quite exhilarating. You no longer have to keep up this fake, high school facade to impress people. Unless you're in a frat or sorority, and let's face it, they hardly count as "people." Ya, I'm not even going to go off chasing down that rabbit trail. Different rant for a different post. Cliques are now almost nonexistent. No more do you have to fit a certain stereotype to be a part of certain group, you just have to be yourself.

        Anyways, this year has been the most amazing yet. The changes in my life have been amazing and I've warmly welcomed them. Do I miss things back home? Yes. Do I miss my family? Constantly. Do I miss old friends? Of course. Would I go back? Definitely not. I can not wait to see what path my life chooses to lead. Hopefully, it's something awesome. Like, a super hero, food critic, or professional napper. I could excel at any of those. To finish this off, I'd like to end with a quote from one of my favorite writers, Dr. Seuss. I believe this perfectly sums up this post. In my opinion he was definitely a master writer and genius who cleverly disguised himself as a children's story book writer. Clearly, he has offered more wisdom in 30 page story books than some novelists do in thousands of pages.

        "How did it get so late so soon?
         It's night before it's afternoon.
         December is here before it's June.
         My goodness how the time has flewn.
         How did it get so late so soon?"
            Dr. Seuss

Use what little time you have wisely. Cherish it. Most of all, never forget to live.

Until next time


No comments:

Post a Comment